GEOFFREY B. DAVIS
Geoff has extensive experience representing biotechnology, biomedical, medical device and pharmaceutical companies. During his more than 25 years as a partner at Ropes & Gray, Geoff played a significant role in establishing the firm’s internationally recognized Life Sciences group. His work includes numerous corporate partnering and licensing transactions for major pharmaceutical and medical device companies, as well as for public and private biotechnology companies and major medical centers.
He has also worked extensively on public and private financings for biomedical companies of all sizes, ranging from newly organized companies to established industry leaders, on behalf of both companies and their investment bankers. In addition to his life sciences work, Geoff has broad experience representing other technology-based companies, in areas such as e-commerce, digital media, social networking and commercial and consumer electronics.
(401) 256-5118 office
(401) 256-5119 fax
(401) 225-5277 mobile
Add to Contacts (vCard)
- Represented Pfizer Inc. in regard to multiple licensing and collaboration matters, including such transactions as:
- Pfizer’s establishment of The Global Centers for Therapeutic Innovation, partnering scientists from academic research centers around the world with Pfizer’s leading drug development teams in an effort to accelerate drug development initiatives, and
- Pfizer’s collaboration with Ensemble Discovery Corporation to discover, develop and commercialize novel compounds that are active against important therapeutic targets, particularly those involving protein-protein interactions
- Represented Wyeth in numerous licensing and collaboration deals, including transactions with Advanced Life Sciences, Santaris Pharma, Elan, Trubion, Progenics, AlphaVax, Pharmacopeia, Catalyst Biosciences, Elbion, Biotica Technology, Nautilus Biotech, Losan Pharma, and Exelixis
- Represented Wyeth’s Consumer Healthcare Division on licensing, supply and related deals for several of its largest product lines
- Represented Wyeth in its divestiture of a portfolio of 10 marketed products in Europe by means of an asset sale and purchase agreement, and interim supply, license, distribution and promotion agreements, as well as various ancillary agreements
- Represented Becton, Dickinson and Company in multiple acquisition, divestiture and licensing and collaboration matters
- Represented StemCells, Inc. in its initial public offering and in more than 20 subsequent financings, as well as licensing and collaboration matters
- Represented Zalicus Inc., formerly known as CombinatoRx Inc., in its initial public offering and in several subsequent financings
- Represented numerous underwriters, including J.P. Morgan, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs in initial public offerings and other public financings for biotech and medical device companies
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1979
- BA, cum laude, Yale University, 1970
- Massachusetts, 1980
- Rhode Island, 1979
Professional & Civic Activities
- Geoff helped to found and serves on the Board of the Slater Technology Center, an independent state-sponsored non-profit corporation which has been instrumental in achieving over $50 million of government and private funding for more than 20 start-up biomedical companies in Rhode Island.
- Geoff is a former Board Chair of Trinity Repertory Theater, Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island and the Herreshoff Marine Museum.
- He served as a reporter, editor and managing editor of Phoenix-Times Newspapers for six years between college and law school.